Project Naya Kadam is about the development of girl children of Unnao, Datia Block in Datia district. Gandhari is a rapidly expanding cluster/village with the influx of migrants from neighboring districts of Datia and presently has a population of nearly one million. Rag- picking, vending, casual work and rickshaw pulling are the usual means of livelihood for the people.
Quite a number of children are involved in taking care of their siblings, household chores and rag picking at the cost of their childhood needs including education and health.
The centre is educating more than 300 girl children, classes starting from preschool. Though educational activities are diversified like formal schooling for 90 girls, Open Basic Education for younger dropout girls and Non formal education for 120 girls. Project aims to integrate different segments of community like rag pickers, daily wage earners, vendors etc. VAMA adopts different methods to teach, keeping in mind the age-group and the socio-economic category. The project aims at changing the mind-set of the people who hardly think of the right of every child, the Right to Education.
Objectives of the Program are :
- To sensitize community towards the importance of girls child education.
- To educate/ develop 300 girls children through regular participation in classes of 30 each in 3 to 15 age group.
- To enrol 90 girls of 3rd, 5th and 8th class and prepare them for OBE (Open Basic Education) certificate of NIOS (National Institute of Open Schooling).
- To mainstream 90 school going age girls in Nursery to class 2, in formal school.
- To enrol 120 girls and rag pickers of above mentioned age in Pre-School and Non-Formal classes.
VAMA STILL GUIDING NAYA SAVERA PROJECT AT DATIA DISTRICT
Naya Savera project near at Jhansi Road in Ghislani area, run by VAMA during 2000-2010 and handed over to the local community, is still rendering useful service to the people, by conducting Pre-School, Non Formal and Remedial Education classes, benefiting about 250 underprivileged children in the area. VAMA continues to guide and support the programme in various ways, namely, training teachers, subsidizing the salaries of the teachers, taking students and teachers for educational tours along with VAMA’s other children etc.
VAMA HELPS IN IMPROVING QUALITY OF EDUCATION AT NAGAR NIGAM PRATHAMIK VIDYALAY, MORAR BLOCK GWALIOR DISTRICT
In 2015, VAMA helped the Nagar Nigam Prathamik Vidyalay, Morar Block, Gwalior District , to improve the Quality of Education, through the following actions: –
- Enhanced enrolment of children;
- Assessed the learning levels of 179 students of 3rd and 4th classes, and identified 120 scholastically weak children;
- Conducted special coaching for weak students using the TLMs collated by SSA for CAL (Computer Aided Learning) centres like Azim Premji Foundation CDs, Hello English, Fun with English, Toon Masti etc. Collected contents available on the net mainly in Hindi like Khan Academy videos, PhET, NLVM, Starfall etc.;
- Trained the teachers for better teaching,
- Loaned the services of 4 teachers for 1 year to teach the identified weak children;
- Secured participation of parents of the children through regular home visits and community meetings;
- Donated some furniture, text books and stationery for the children
This led to improvement in regularity in attendance of not only students but also of teachers, hygiene and behaviors of children, the scholastically weak children becoming at par with good students in the classes, and in the overall performance of the School. It was a pilot project supported by Morar block Gwalior, for 1 year. VAMA is making efforts to raise resources for replicating such projects.